Negotiations are often combative, and emotions can easily get out of control, just like the amount of your lawyer’s bill. But for many couples, divorce is the only way to resolve certain marital issues.
One way to streamline the process and successfully divorce your partner with less stress and expense is to use a divorce mediator. A professional divorce mediator is skilled at helping couples negotiate the terms of their divorce in a calmer and more informal way, so both parties can feel equally and fairly represented.
Of course, your mediation experience will only be as good as the mediator you choose. Here’s how to find a divorce mediator that can help you improve your chances of success.
How to Choose a Mediator: What to Look For
Most divorce mediators offer potential clients a free initial session to give them a chance to determine if working together will be a good fit. As you meet with mediators, here are some of the most important qualities you should be keeping an eye out for.
- Training: A professional mediator should not only have the appropriate mediation training, but it also helps if they have a law degree and/or a degree in Psychology and Sociology. Conducting a productive mediation session will almost always require some level of experience in all these specialties.
- Specialize Knowledge: Every divorce is different. Some are primarily financial whereas others may involve property or sensitive issues like child custody and support. To get the results you’re looking for, your mediator should have experience mediating your unique type of divorce.
- Personality: You need to be able to trust your divorce mediator. You want to be confident that the mediator you choose is someone who will really listen to your concerns instead of trying to impart their own opinion on matters. If you want your mediation to be calm and fair, then you need a mediator who is also those things.
How to Choose a Divorce Mediator: Questions to Ask
You can increase the chances of choosing the right divorce mediation simply by asking the right questions. Here are some important questions that will help you gain the information you need to make the best decision for your needs.
- What training do you have?
- Do you have specialized divorce training?
- Are you certified as a mediator by our state’s courts?
- What types of cases do you usually mediate?
- How long have you been mediating divorce cases?
- How many divorces have you handled?
- In your opinion, why is divorce mediation preferable over divorce court?
- What are your fees and what do they include?
- Do you offer online mediation services (if preferred)?
Unless your spouse will go along with your choice of mediator, you really shouldn’t choose one on your own. Success often hinges on both partners being involved in the process of finding a mediator because after all, both parties should feel comfortable and secure with the mediator.
If you are getting a divorce and you want to avoid negotiating in a combative and emotionally charged state, a skilled divorce mediator can make the difference. Contact Mediation Professionals of Long Island today for compassionate, experienced mediation services and enjoy a healthier and more equitable divorce. Call us at 646-992-7440 or click here to send us a message online.